Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Deb's Recipe of the Month Club - April

Time again for Deb's Recipe of the Month Club! My grandmother made the best banana bread. It was moist, had an incredible crust, and I still crave it to this day. When I use her recipe, it comes out dry and nearly tasteless. I live at 9000 ft (more or less), so I expect that's the reason. My sister lives a sea level and her's comes out just like Grandma's. So instead of an old family favorite this time, I went searching for a Banana Bread that would work at 9000 ft (and sea level). And didn't find one. I did find this Martha Stewart recipe. The first time I made it, the top collapsed (but it tasted good). So I researched adjustments for high altitude baking (less baking soda and more flour). Honestly, it's the only recipe I've ever had to adjust. I don't even adjust box cake mixes (the few times I use one).

Stampendous monkey seemed like the way to go for Banana Bread. Colored with Copics. My bananas are slivers of circles. I clipped the ends of both sides and highlighted with a brown Copic marker.

I put the other version of the recipe (either regular or high altitude) on the back.

Stamps: Stampendous Changito
Paper: Basic Grey, Reminisce GOIN' BANANAS paper
Ink: Memento
Accessories: Copics, circle and leaf punches, glitter pen, and rhinestones

So, here's the 3rd batch of the high altitude version. Looks yummy! Tasted even better! :D

My High Altitude version of Martha's Banana Bread!
  • 1/2c butter (1 stick) at room temp.
  • 1c sugar minus 1T.
  • 2 egg
  • 1 3/4c flour
  • 1/2t baking soda
  • 1t salt
  • 1c mashed bananas
  • 1/2c sour cream
  • 1t vanilla
  • 1/2c chopped pecans (opt.)
Cream shortening, sugar & egg. Add remaining ingredients until well mixed.
Bake at 350 for 60 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. Deb, that looks delicious. I love bananna bread. I can't try it now as I am dieting. I love your changito recipe card or page. So cute and how clever to make the banannas out of circles. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These recipe cards are so cool! You really did a good job on the bananas; they look real. I would love a slice of that breat about now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect image for the monkey bread recipe and such a clever way to create the bananas! It makes me hungry every time I see your latest recipe of the month!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a perfect use for this monkey stamps and I love your creative bananas!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, that sounds so yummie ! The monkey fits perfect for this recipe. Perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these are cute, I haven't used my changito's in a long time! Glad you were able to find something that worked, looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete