Saturday, September 26, 2009

Snowflake Tutorial

A while ago, I showcased a crystal snowflake that I had made for a card with the promise of a tutorial at a later date. I first learned how to make these stunning snowflakes from Anne Wight's Sweet & Sassy blog, but I did make some changes on how I make them.

Choose 3 colors that will coordinate with your project. I always use Stampin UP! Whisper White because its a very smooth paper that allows the sponge dauber to glide easily. I do two area so I can find the perfect area to punch snowflakes from later.

I started with Bermuda Bay and Melon Mambo. Be sure to over lap the colors to blend them. I used Crushed Curry as the 3rd color and made sure to cover all the remaining white areas with some color (doesn't need to be full saturation). In fact, leaving a little less color in areas will give you a more interesting punch area.

Punch two snowflakes out. Move the punch around until you get a mix of colors you like. I use two different size snowflakes.

I also make sure that there is enough difference in colors that you will be able to see the smaller snowflake when it's placed on top of the larger snowflake.

Dab Diamond Glaze on the snowflake where you want the glass glitter to be. The Diamond Glaze is a quick drying glue that will also be clear. Dunk the Diamond Glaze areas into the glass glitter. I haven't tried other glitters for this technique because I like the sharp crystal effect you get from the glass glitter. It's a very course flake - like rock salt (vs table salt). Once both snowflakes are dry, stack with a pop dot.

Off set the arms of the snowflake and if you can, off set the colors so you get more visual interest. On this snowflake I also put glass glitter in the center but you could use a rhinestone, brad, button, or something else to "finish" the snowflake.

Attach the snowflake to your card with a pop dot or glue dot.

Stamps: Stampin UP! EXTREME SNOWBOARDER; Denami sentiment
Paper: Neenah Solar White (aka PTI White), Cosmo Cricket HOLLY BY JOLLY, SU! Whisper White
Ink: Stampin UP! Bermuda Bay, Melon Mambo, Crushed Curry
Accessories: Martha Stewart snowflake punch; Marvy SUPER JUMBO snowflake punch, glass glitter, sponge daubers, Diamond Glaze, and pop dots.

2 comments:

  1. Fun, fun technique and I have all the supplies except the big snowflake punch. When's the next Archiver's coupon out??

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun card! Love your sparkling multicolored snowflake.
    Thanks for playing!
    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete